Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Where Are the Birds?

I am working away on the 6th PS "Prairie Birds" design. This one is called "Junco". But where are the Juncos? As you can see I've stitching everything but the two birds.  I can get them done fairly quickly.  


My morning birding continues to be very good, except when a Cooper's Hawk flies in and everyone else hides or flies away for an hour or so.

As a stitching reminder, here's a Junco. 

I'm getting to you, I promise!

"New" late summer sparrows are showing up.

And as they are young birds, IDing them becomes a bit tricky.

I've decided they are young White-crowned Sparrows.

Not to be confused with my here-all-year Song Sparrows.

Here's a female Purple Finch...

...and her mate.

Crazy times at the feeders with American Goldfinches.

I cannot count them accurately, the flocks are too large, but I am estimating anywhere from 50-75 birds.

5 comments:

Mary said...

Great photo of the coopers hawk! He is magnificent. The goldfinches are having a feast at your feeders, so impressive that you have so many at the same time. The word is out your feeding them well!

Robin in Virginia said...

The Cooper's Hawk looks very regal. Glad he leaves so the other birds can come out from hiding. Your PS piece looks good and I look forward to seeing the birds show up on it.

Maggee said...

I've seen a Cooper's Hawk in the neighbor's tree, and it DOES get really quiet...except for the bluejays if they are around! Great picture you got there. I saw my first Merlin this past weekend...it was keeping everyone quiet! Quite the collection of birds you shared, once again. No doubt the Juncos have been stitched by now! Hugs!

MaryO said...

There's nothing like a Cooper's hawk to bring silence!
😨

Barb said...

Smart little birds getting away from the Cooper's Hawk!