Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Chickadee-dee-dee

Design - "Black-capped Chickadee"
Chart - "The Bird Collection - Part 3"
Designer - Heartstring Samplery
Fabric - 32 count Picture This Plus Wren linen
Fibers - GAST & WDW - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 3 September 2017
Completed - 13 September 2017 

I've messed with the beak to no avail - it still does not thrill me.  Someone suggested changing the color and making it darker.  As I do intend to frame this at some point I will tackle the beak again.  Otherwise, I'm really pleased with it. 

This guy thinks it is pretty first-rate too.

I did my best!

And I haven't given up.

The Junco says, "Whatever!"

Here's a Band-tailed Pigeon...

...and a smaller Mourning Dove.

Some of my many young California Quail.

And an unexpected gift - another sighting of a female Western Tanager.

She was a bit coy!


11 comments:

Margaret said...

I think the beak looks fine! Love the piece so much! Great bird pics too, of course.

Stewart M said...

I do like those chickadees - we dont have that sort of bird here.

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I've just been catching up on your recent posts Beth and I love the photo of the chipmunk with the flower. The Douglas squirrel has a lovely underbelly colour.

Vickie said...

I do like this finish very much! You know I love the spot of pink, right?

Mary said...

i think that the design makes the chickadee's beak look a bit too thick-almost like a grosbeak. Maybe experiment a bit with only one strand - maybe just on the top row.

Thank you for introducing the pretty series

Mary in Mn

deb said...

Your stitched chickadee looks great! Glad you've had a chance to get back to some stitching recently, though I always enjoy your bird pictures, and the other visitors as well. (Not sure how the beak was originally charted, but perhaps the reason you're not completely pleased is that their beaks have more of an isosceles triangle shape rather than a right triangle?)

Mary said...

The western tanager is beautiful. I think the chickadee stitch looks fine. I love this fairly quick series.

Barb said...

You just stitched one of my favorite little birds. I hear their call almost everyday!

Carol said...

Chickadees always make me smile and I really love your stitched one, too, Beth! I just ordered the chart in this series that has the Robin and the sparrow and swallow--may have to go back and get the chickadee, too :)

RJ said...

Beth I love your stitched chickadee...it's adorable. RJ

Maggee said...

We ARE our own worst critics, aren't we?? Art tries to imitate life, but it cannot always be exact. I know you will be happy with whatever you do! Can't wait to see it framed! The birds are winding down a bit here, too... Maybe 10-12 more days to try seeing migrating warblers. Thanks for sharing! Hugs!